Create WordPress Website and WordPress Tips
The following tips and how to create a website using WordPress will help your business survive on digital platforms. WordPress is a free Content Management System (CMS) that has many powerful features. Here we will tell you how to develop it.
|How to Create a Website Using WordPress Tips|
Nowadays, having a website has become a necessity for most people. The website can not only be used by business owners to sell their products but can also be used by other general public such as students or freelancers to display their portfolios of work.
Fortunately, there are now many free web builders that make the website development process easier, one of which is WordPress.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) written using the PHP programming language and using a MySQL database. WordPress allows website development for the backend and front end. This way, you can easily develop your own website.
Some examples of the types of websites that can be developed using WordPress are:
- Blog website or personal website
- E-commerce website
- Portfolio website
- Business Directory
- Auction website
- Web for podcasts
- and many more
How to Create a Website Using WordPress
The following is a step by step how to create a website using WordPress:
1. Choose the best domain name for your website
The first step you need to do is determine the domain name that will be used by the website. A domain name or domain name is the address of your website on the internet, for example, example,domainname.com.
Although currently there are various types of domain extensions available such as .com, .net, .org, or others, when choosing a domain name WordPress recommends users to use the .com extension. This was stated by WordPress because .com is already widely known by users, easy to remember, and can be trusted.
You need to remember, that the website domain will be used for the long term. So, determine your domain name properly before you register it.
2. Register a domain name and web hosting
After you have determined a domain name for your WordPress website, the next step is to register the domain name so you can use it. In Indonesia, there are now many companies that provide services for domain registration (domain registrar). You can choose one of these companies to help with the domain name registration process.
In addition, you also need to buy web hosting to provide space to host your website on the World Wide Web. By purchasing web hosting, your website content such as HTML, CSS, or image files will be placed on the server so that it can be viewed online. Make sure the web hosting package you buy has an auto service install WordPress.
3. Install WordPress on your hosting account
The next step is to install WordPress on your hosting account. If you buy hosting with a WordPress auto-install service, the WordPress installation process can be done easily.
You need to know to install WordPress, each hosting provider has different stages. However, most hosting providers use the cPanel standard so that the process or steps to install WordPress can be carried out with almost the same steps.
Here are the steps to install WordPress:
- Sign in to your cPanel hosting account.
- After entering the admin page, you can search for the auto installer application and enter the menu. An example of an auto installer that is often used is Softaculuos.
- Search for WordPress and click install.
- Next, you will see a form that you need to fill out such as software setup and site settings. In the setup software, you can choose the domain name that will be used for your website.
If you experience difficulties during the WordPress installation process, don't hesitate to contact the hosting provider you are using for assistance.
4. Choose a WordPress theme
The next step on how to create a website using WordPress is choosing a theme. To make your WordPress website look attractive, you can choose or install a theme in it.
WordPress has a variety of themes. You can try 'demonstrating' each one to find which one best fits the vibe you want to show off.
To install a free WordPress theme, follow these steps:
- Log in to the WordPress dashboard.
- Hover over Appearance then click Themes.
- After logging into the dashboard for the theme, click on the Add New button.
- Find a theme that fits your industry or vibe.
- If you have found a suitable theme, click install under the theme to download it.
- After a few minutes, a button will appear under the theme that says Activate. Click the button to activate the theme.
5. Add website content to it
After your website is installed and has a theme in it, then the next step is to provide content in it. A website without content will certainly not be of interest to your users or target audience.
Broadly speaking, WordPress itself has two main content types, namely:
- Open the Pages menu from the WordPress admin area, then select the Add New button
- Fill in the title according to the name of the page you want, for example, "home".
- Fill in the description of your web home page using content in the form of text, images, or videos.
- After you have filled in the home page content, the next step is to press the "publish" button to display the page on your website.
Posts are content that will be displayed on the blog section of the website. With this content, you can share the latest articles, news, or info about your business or company. The content displayed in this blog section will appear in reverse order so that the most recent posts will be found at the top.
To create a blog post, here are the steps you can take.
- Open the Post menu from the WordPress admin area, then select Add new.
- Create an article or news content that you want to post.
- If you have finished creating content, you can press the publish button to display the article on your web page.
6. Install the WordPress plugin
At this stage, you have actually finished creating a website using WordPress. However, you can use an additional configuration to improve the performance of your website by installing a WordPress plugin.
A WordPress plugin is a piece of software that contains a group of functions that can be added to your WordPress site. This plugin can extend new functionality to a WordPress website such as changing website layouts, adding online store features, SEO optimization, anti-spam, and much more.
Some of the popular WordPress plugins that are often used by web owners are:
- Yoast SEO is a plugin to improve on-page SEO on web pages.
- WooCommerce is an E-commerce plugin for developing an online store via WordPress.
- Jetpack is a plugin for customizing website themes and increasing web security.
- W3 Total Cache is for managing website cache.
- WPForms is a plugin for creating forms that can be used by website visitors to subscribe to emails, place orders online, make payments, and so on.
How to Install a WordPress Plugin:
- Login to the WordPress dashboard
- Open the plugin menu
- Use the search bar to search for the plugin you want to install
- Once you find the plugin you want, click the install button.
- Once the plugin has finished installing, click the Activate Plugin button.
7. Make sure your WordPress website is safe to use
How to create a successful website using WordPress also needs to pay attention to the security side. WordPress is a popular CMS that is widely used by people in various parts of the world. No wonder this web is often the target of attacks from hackers.
However, you need to remember that WordPress is developed by professional developers. They are constantly making updates to improve the WordPress CMS security system. As a user, there are several security measures that you can use, namely:
a. Update WordPress and the plugins you are using.
WordPress is open-source software that is maintained and updated regularly. By default, WordPress will automatically install minor updates but for major updates, you will need to update manually. In addition, you must also update the WordPress plugins that you install in it.
b. Use strong passwords and passwords
Make sure your WordPress admin uses a strong password. This means that the password does not use simple vocabulary that is short and easy to guess. We recommend that you use a long password with an alphanumeric combination in it. You also need to apply a strong password to your hosting account.
c. Perform regular backups
By doing regular backups, you can restore your website more quickly when the website is hacked. Currently, many WordPress plugins can help you do backups easily.
d. Use a security plugin
How to create a website using WordPress safely can be done by using the security plugin in it. This can keep the website away from cyber attacks such as malware. One of the plugins that you can use is the Sucuri Security plugin.
You can also install the Web Application Firewall plugin to monitor and filter incoming traffic to your web.
e. Use SSL/HTTPS
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a protocol that encrypts the data transfer between your website and the user's browser. This encryption will protect the website from various indications of data theft.
Once you enable SSL, your WordPress site will use HTTPS. You will also see a padlock sign next to your website address when opened in a browser. To activate it, you can contact the hosting provider you are using.
How to create a website using WordPress above you can use to build your business presence online. Having a website, service, product, or even your work can be seen by many people.
Even so, you need to continue to improve the quality of the content and do SEO optimization so that the website you develop can be more easily found on Google search engine pages.
In addition, pay attention to the security side of the website to avoid various cyber threats that often occur.
If you don't know how to create a website on WordPress and need help designing or making overall modifications to your WordPress pages, please contact our Telegram Channel.